I had a custom page that needed to be deployed inside a MOSS 2007 site’s document library. The problem was, there were more than 100 sites in the site collection. Manually uploading the file was so time-consuming, so I decided to write a simple console application to upload the file to each site’s document library.
The application simply made use of the
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFileCollection.Add() method to upload the file programmatically to the desired document library. In my development environment, it worked flawlessly. So happily I went to the client and ran the application in the production server. Almost immediately, the application exited without any message. It’s strange because I made it to output the upload status as well as the exception message.
Then I tried to add a more verbose exception handling, by printing out the exception stack as well as the exception type, and I got this following output:
Exception class: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFileCollection.Add(String urlOfFile, Byte file, Boolean overwrite, String checkInComment, Boolean checkRequiredFields)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFileCollection.Add(String urlOfFile, Byte file, Boolean overwrite)
See? No exception message. How the heck would I know what happened then? Well, at least I got the idea that the failure was at the
Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFileCollection.Add() method execution. I ran the code under the administrator account, the same account used as the site’s administrator, so it shouldn’t be the account problem. I fired up the browser, tried to upload the file manually to the document library using the same administrator account, and it also worked. So definitely this was not a problem related to the permission.
After messing around with the site’s settings and permissions, rewrote my application’s code many times, as well as googled for solutions, I finally found out the real problem. It’s not the code or the permission problem. But it seemed that the production server had Microsoft Forefront Server Security installed. It was configured to scan for viruses on every file uploads and downloads.
So what I did to fix the issue is:
- Open SharePoint
- Open the
- Click on the
Antiviruslink under the
- Turn off the
Scan documents on uploadsetting
Then I could successfully executed my application to upload the file to every sites.
This is a mere workaround to resolve this problem temporarily. I still need to find a more proper solution so my application can work with Forefront.