Office 2010 breaks stsadm -o copyappbincontent

Microsoft Office 2010 *Update: InfoPath 2010 is the real cause, please check this post.
I love Microsoft Office 2010. It’s more beautiful and faster than Microsoft Office 2007. I downloaded and installed the product immediately after its RTM version arrived on the MSDN download page. I even installed it on my Windows Server 2003 virtual machine that runs MOSS 2007. At first, I thought it worked great.

Apparently it was not a good idea. Later I realized something was broken. As the VM is my SharePoint sandbox, soon I encountered a problem when I was playing with it. That happened when I executed an stsadm command, a rather simple one actually:

stsadm -o copyappbincontent

But it failed with the following error:

One or more types failed to load. Please refer to the upgrade log for more details.

I found nothing useful in the event log and SharePoint logs to fix this issue. So I googled it and found this thread on TechNet. It was suggested that Office 2010 was the problem and the solution was to uninstall it. Unfortunately it was not explained what the root cause of the issue was. I don’t want to uninstall the whole product just to fix this issue. For now, I can just copy the resource files manually to the App_GlobalResources folder in my virtual directory instead of using the stsadm -o copyappbincontent command. Hopefully there won’t be more issues because of Office 2010 and Microsoft would fix the issue soon.

  • http://www.bitsmt.com Luis

    Nope, there’s more. I am finding some stange annomalies in Outlook 2010 with Microsoft Windows Search and Microsoft Advanced Search. The problem is that Microsoft has remove the submission option and now I am having difficulty in submitting my bug findings.

    Very, VERY, frustrating.

  • denni

    Yes, I agree it’s very frustrating. Moreover, I found that InfoPath 2010 messes up almost everything on my MOSS2007 box.

  • Pingback: InfoPath 2010 breaks SharePoint 2007 installation()