Category Archives: Software

InfoPath 2010 breaks SharePoint 2007 installation

Last time I wrote that the stsadm -o copyappbincontent command didn’t work if you had installed Office 2010 on the same machine with your SharePoint 2007. Later I found the same problem on more scenarios:

  1. When running the stsadm -o copyappbincontent command.
  2. When attaching a content db to Web application.
  3. When running the psconfig command or running the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard application.
  4. The SharePoint’s upgrade.log file is missing.

When you perform any of those operation, you will get the following error message:

One or more types failed to load. Please refer to the upgrade log for more details.

The message told you to refer to the upgrade log. Ironically, the upgrade.log file is missing from the logs folder.

Previously, I thought the solution is uninstall the whole Office 2010 suite. But apparently, uninstalling InfoPath 2010 is enough to solve the problem.

Office 2010 breaks stsadm -o copyappbincontent

Microsoft Office 2010 *Update: InfoPath 2010 is the real cause, please check this post.
I love Microsoft Office 2010. It’s more beautiful and faster than Microsoft Office 2007. I downloaded and installed the product immediately after its RTM version arrived on the MSDN download page. I even installed it on my Windows Server 2003 virtual machine that runs MOSS 2007. At first, I thought it worked great.

Apparently it was not a good idea. Later I realized something was broken. As the VM is my SharePoint sandbox, soon I encountered a problem when I was playing with it. That happened when I executed an stsadm command, a rather simple one actually:

stsadm -o copyappbincontent

But it failed with the following error:

One or more types failed to load. Please refer to the upgrade log for more details.

I found nothing useful in the event log and SharePoint logs to fix this issue. So I googled it and found this thread on TechNet. It was suggested that Office 2010 was the problem and the solution was to uninstall it. Unfortunately it was not explained what the root cause of the issue was. I don’t want to uninstall the whole product just to fix this issue. For now, I can just copy the resource files manually to the App_GlobalResources folder in my virtual directory instead of using the stsadm -o copyappbincontent command. Hopefully there won’t be more issues because of Office 2010 and Microsoft would fix the issue soon.

Flowchart: which open source license should I use?

Choosing open source license flowchart This is a common question when one wants to publish a new open source project, especially if he/she is new to open source licensing scheme. The many available choices of the license can be very confusing and many people simply pick a license without really understanding the meaning or the clauses in the license. Some choose a license by the popularity. Some because a particular license is used in their favorite projects. Even worse, some even choose a license because it looks or sounds cool.

There are many resources on the Web that provide comparison of the available licenses. I want to make it simpler by creating a flowchart to guide you to pick the right license for your project. To reduce confusion, I’ll only list the most common open source licenses. You can click on the flowchart to enlarge it.